Spicy Steamed Mussels
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, sliced, divided
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Soak fresh mussels in cold water with 2 tbsp cornmeal for 30 minutes. This will help with mussels to spit out any sand in the shells. Drain and rinse mussels, set aside. Discard cornmeal.
- Using a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until golden brown. Add chiles along with salt and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stir constantly.
- Add mussels, white wine and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, cover pan and cook until mussels open (approximately 4-6 minutes). Discard any mussels that do remain closed.
- Spoon mussels and broth into bowls. Top with remaining chiles and parsley. Serve with garlic french bread.
Garlic French Bread
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 gloves fresh garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano shredded cheese
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add garlic, cook until light brown. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Brush garlic butter on both sides of french bread slices.
- Spread parmigiano shredded cheese on top side of each French bread slices.
- Toast bread in a toaster oven until cheese melted. Remove from toaster and put aside.