PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 5 tbsp butter, cold is fine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Finely grated zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened yogurt or sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea or table salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (no need to defrost)
- 3 tbsp turbinado (sugar in the raw) sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with 9 paper liners.
- Melt butter in the bottom of a large bowl and whisk in sugar, zest, yogurt and egg until smooth.
- Whisk in baking powder, baking soda and salt until fully combined, then lightly fold in flour and berries. Batter will be very thick, like a cookie dough.
- Divide dough between prepared muffin cups and sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until tops are golden and a tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then on a rack.