PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 3 hours
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 cups lukewarm water (or 1.5 cup of cold water with 0.5 cup of boiling water)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp instant yeast (Saf Instant Yeast)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Whisk together flour, Kosher salt, sugar and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add lukewarm water. Mix until you have a sticky dough ball. Cover mixing bowl with a wet kitchen towel and let dough rise for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Using two forks, release the dough from the sides of the bowl. Split the dough down the middle into two halves using the forks.
- Butter two 1 quart pyrex bowls. Transfer the two halves of dough to each bowl. Let the dough rise again until it crowns the rim of bowl (roughly about 20-30 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Transfer bowls of dough into the oven. Cook for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 375 degrees and cook for another 17-20 until bread is golden brown. Allows 20 minutes for bread to cool before eating.