Christmas Crack Cracker Toffee
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 5 minutes
- 40 salted saltine crackers (about 1 sleeve)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 package milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- additional toppings: Heath bar, nuts, candy or sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil (if using regular foil, spray with non-stick cooking spray for easy removal). Spread the crackers out on the foil in a single layer and fold up the edges of the foil to box in the crackers. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to boil for 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Quickly pour over the crackers and spread to cover completely.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the oven. Turn off heat. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Let stand for 1-2 minutes or until the chocolate starts to look shiny and is soft enough spread evenly over the toffee. If the chocolate is still not warm enough to spread after 4 minutes, place it back in the oven for a minute to help soften it.
- Top with any additional toppings if desired.
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to harden. Peel away the foil and break into pieces.