Penne with Five Cheeses
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes in thick tomato puree
- 1/2 cup (1-1/2 oz.) freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup (1-1/2 oz.) shredded imported Italian fontina
- 1/4 cup (1-1/2 oz.) crumbled Italian Gorgonzola
- 2 tbsp ricotta cheese
- 1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 lb. imported penne rigate pasta
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Bring 5 qts of salted water to a boil in a stockpot.
- Combine all ingredients except the penne and butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Drop the penne into the boiling water and parboil for 4 minutes. Drain well in a colander and add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl, tossing to combine.
- Divide the pasta mixture among 6 shallow ceramic gratin dishes (1-1/2 to 2-cup capacity).
- Dot gratin dishes with the butter and bake until bubbly and brown on top for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.