LINGUINE WITH MUSSELS AND RED SAUCE
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 ½ lb fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine (Chablis)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 cans (16 oz.) plum tomatoes with basil, chopped
- 2 cans (8 oz.) unsalted tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Soak fresh mussels in cold water with 2 tbsp cornmeal for 30 minutes. This will help with mussels to spit out any sand in the shells. Drain and rinse mussels, set aside. Discard cornmeal.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add onion. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add basil, red pepper, chopped plum tomatoes and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncover for 10 minutes.
- Add mussels (hinged side down) on top of tomato sauce mixture. Cover and cook over high heat for 3 minutes or until mussels open. Discard any mussels remained closed.
- Use a large pot, heat up 9 cups of cold water to boil. Cook linguine, drain and put aside.
- Spoon linguine into large soup bowls. Serve with tomato sauce, mussels and remaining parsley.
TOASTED GARLIC FRENCH BREAD
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 gloves fresh garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup parmigiano shredded cheese
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add garlic, cook until light brown. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Brush garlic butter on both sides of french bread slices.
- Spread parmigiano shredded cheese on top side of each French bread slices.
- Toast bread in a toaster oven until cheese melted. Remove from toaster and put aside.