Mandarin Peking Duck
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 1.5 hour
INGREDIENTS - PEKING DUCK
- 1 5-6 lbs fresh whole duck
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 6 tbsp honey
- 5 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 150 ml Shaohsing rice wine
INGREDIENTS - SAUCE
- Slury (2 tsp cornstarch and 1 tbsp cold water)
- 6 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 package Chinese-stype pancakes
- 3 scallions, thin strips for garnish
- 1 cucumber, thin strips for garnish
- To clean the duck by use a fork and prick the duck all over and pour hot water over the duck to rinse it out. Place duck on a rack in a roasting pan and dry it all over with paper towels. Sprinkle duck with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- Using a small bowl, mix together honey, 6 tbsp cold water, Chinese five-spice, rice wine, soy sauce and brown sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Set marinade aside.
- Brush marinade all over the duck with a cooking brush. Let marinade dry for approximately and apply a second coat all over the duck. Save roughly 4-5 tbsp of marinade for basting later. Let the duck marinated overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wrap the duck drum sticks and wings with foil to prevent burning. Place the duck in the oven with breast up cook for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and cook for another 1 hour or when the duck internal cooking temperature registers 165 degrees. When duck is cooked, remove from oven and let it cool.
- To make the sauce in a small bowl, mix 2 tsps cornstarch with 1 tbsp cold water to make the slurry. Set aside.
- Using a small non-stick pan, heat up sesame oil over medium heat. Add hoisin, sugar, soy sauce. When sauce is bubbly slightly, add the slurry and stir well to thicken the sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Carve duck and cut into slices.
- To serve, place a tsp of sauce in center of a pancake, add slices of Peking duck, onion and cucumber garnish.