PREP TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 package (12 oz.) jmbo shell macaroni
- 1 jar (32 oz.) spaghetti sauce (Mario's)
- 1/2 lb Italian sweet sausage
- 2 packages frozen leaf spinach (10 oz. ea), thawed
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shedded
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Cook shells, following package directions, until al dente. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Spit sausage casings with a sharp knife and peel them off. Crumble meat into a large skillet. Brown over medium heat, stirring frequently. Drain off fat.
- Add spaghetti sauce to the browned meat in skillet. Cover pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While sausage/spaghetti sauce mixture is simmering, place thawed spinach in a strainer, press out excess moisture by hand. Remove and chop coarsely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs slightly. Add chopped spinach, ricotta and mozzarella cheese, onion salt, garlic powder and nutmeg. Mix until all ingredients are blended.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of sausage/spaghetti sauce mixture into bottom of a casserole dish. Sutff each of cooked shells with 2 rounded teaspoons of the spinach cheese filling.
- Arrange shells in a single layer in casserole dish.
- Pour remaining sauce mixture over shells. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake shells at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove shells from oven and serve hot.