Chicken Soup (Pho Ga)
PREP TIME: 1 hour
SERVES: 6 to 8
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 9 hours
- 1 Whole Chicken (5 Lbs)
- 2 Tbsp Candy Rocks
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp Chicken Bouillon Powder
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger
- 1 Bunch Scallion
- 1 Jar Instant Chicken Soup Paste
- 4 Vidalia Sweet Onion, Divided
- 1 Tbsp Chicken Soup Seasoning
- Chicken Soup Balls
- Dry Fried Red Onion
- Fresh Basil
- Bean Sprouts
- Egg Noodles, Banh Pho Noodles or Vermicelli Beans Threads Noodles
- Cut up Whole Chicken into pieces and remove excess fat
- Using a large soup pot, fill 2/3 pot with cold water and slowly bring to boil.
- Add Candy Rocks, Kosher Salt, Chicken pieces.
- Clean, remove Ginger skin. Cut Ginger into thin slices.
- Using a small frying pan, fry Ginger on both sides until golden brown. Add Ginger to Pot of Soup
- Clean Scallion. Cut scallion head into 1 inch in length pieces. Add to Pot of Soup
- Peel Sweet Onion. Cut onion into thin slices.
- When Pot of Soup boils, lower heat to Low. Add Instant Chicken Soup Paste, Chicken Soup Seasoning, Chicken Bouillon Powder, Sweet Onion
- Cook over low heat for 8 hours.
- Serve Chicken Soup with Egg Noodles, Chicken Soup Balls, Dry Fried Red Onion, Bean Sprouts, Fresh Basil and sliced sweet onion
NOTE: For a healthier chicken soup
- Remove Chicken from soup. When chicken is cooled off, remove all chicken bones.
- When Chicken Broth is cooled off, store broth in refrigerator over night to get the chicken fat to congeal. After 24 hours, remove excess chicken fat from broth.
- Reheat soup over medium heat until boil. Serve Chicken Soup as described in Step 10