PREP TIME: 1 hour
SERVES: 8 to 10
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 7 hours
- 5 lbs Chowder Fish
- 6 Vidiala Sweet Onion
- 1 Bunch Celery or Celery Hearts
- 5 lbs Idaho Potatoes
- 1 Quart Heavy Cream
- 1 Gallon Whole Milk
- 1 Quart Light Cream or ½ & ½
- 3 Cups of Flour
- 4 oz Salted Butter (1 Sticks)
- 1 lb Bacon
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme or Parsley
- ½ Tbsp Dill
- ½ Tbsp Savory
- 8 Bay Leaves
- 2 Tsp Seasoned Salt
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Chives
- ½ Bunch Cilantro
- 3x 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 4 Cloves Diced Fresh Garlic
- Chowder Crackers (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp Mushroom Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Dry Cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp Dry Chives
- Clean and cut potatoes, celery and sweet onion into small square pieces
- Clean and dice Fresh Thyme, Cilantro, Chives
- Prepare spices by mixing Dill, Savory, Seasoned Salt, Black Pepper, Mushroom seasoning, chives, thyme.
- Using a large Tefflon non-stick pot, mix Milk, Heavy Cream, Light Cream, add potatoes, Bay Leaves, add spices mix from Step 3.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Cook Bacon on cooking sheets for 20 min or until crispy brown. Cut Bacon into small pieces.
- Prepare roux by mixing Flour and 1x32 oz Chicken Broth. Whisk until smooth. Empty into large non-stick pot from Step4
- Using a large deep frying pan, add butter, Fresh Garlic. Cook until garlic is golden brown. Add Sweet Onion, cooked Bacon, Fresh parsley, fresh Cilantro. Stir evenly and cook for 2 minutes. Empty cooked ingredients into the large pot from Step 4
- Cut Chowder Fish into 1-2 “ pieces
- Add Bay Leaves and cook large Pot of chowder over low heat, covered with Pot cover. After 3 hours, add Chowder Fish.
- Cook over low heat for another 2 hours. Ready to serve with cut-up scallion, Black Pepper and chowder crackers (Optional).