French Onion Soup
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 1 hour
- 2 Cups Sweet Vidalia Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Gloves Minced Fresh Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Salted Butter
- 4 Rosemary sprigs, tied into bundle in Cheese Cloth
- 1 Tbsp All-purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Dry Merlot Red Wine
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Kosher Salt
- ¾ Lb Gruyere or Swiss Cheese
- 2 Croissants or Baguette, cut into 1.5” cubes
- 3 Cups Beef Broth
- Using a large, deep pot, heat up Olive Oil, butter over medium heat. Add Sweet Onion, Rosemary to pot. Stir often. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add Garlic, Black Pepper and cook onions until evenly gold brown
- Add Flour. Cook until it coats all onion. Add Red Wine. Increase heat to medium, bring to boil, cook for 2 minutes
- Reduce heat to low. Add Beef Broth, Soy Sauce and Salt. Cook until soup is thickened. Serve to taste with salt.
- Preheat oven to 3500. Arrange Croissant or Baguette pieces in large cookie sheet, bake until golden for 5-8 minutes.
- Arrange 4 soup crocks in a baking sheet. Place ¼ cup of Gruyere or Swiss Cheese on bottom of each crock. Add soup to crock almost to the top. Top each crock with more Gruyere or Swiss Cheese on top.
- Preheat oven to Broil. When ready, broil until cheese is bubbling and slightly browned. Ready to serve.