Pork Soup (Pho Heo)
PREP TIME: 1 hour
SERVES: 6 to 8
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 8 hours
- 5 lbs Pork Bones
- 2 Tbsp Candy Rocks
- 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Pork Bouillon Powder
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger
- 1 Bunch Scallion heads
- 1 Jar Instant Pork Soup Paste
- 4 Vidalia Sweet Onion, Divided
- 1 Tbsp Pork Soup Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Dry Fried Red Onion
- Fresh Basil
- Bean Sprouts
- Pork Soup Balls
- Egg Noodles, Banh Pho Noodles or Vermicelli Beans Threads Noodles
- Clean and wash pork bones. Remove excess fat
- Using a large soup pot, fill pot with 4 quarts or 16 cups of cold water and slowly bring to boil.
- Add Candy Rocks, Kosher Salt, pork bones to pot.
- Clean, remove Ginger skin. Cut Ginger into thin slices. Add to Pot of Soup
- Clean Scallion. Cut scallion head into 1 inch in length pieces. Add to Pot of Soup
- Peel Sweet Onion. Cut onion into thin slices.
- When Pot of Soup boils, lower heat to Low. Add Instant Pork Soup Paste, Pork Soup Seasoning, Pork Bouillon Powder, Sweet Onion
- Cook over low heat for 6 hours.
- Serve Pork Soup with Egg Noodles, Banh Pho Noodles or Vermicelli Beans Threads Noodles, Pork Soup Balls, Dry Fried Red Onion, Bean Sprouts, Fresh Basil and sliced sweet onion
NOTE: For a healthier pork soup
- Remove pork bones from soup when finished cooking. When pork is cooled off, remove all bones and discard
- When pork soup is cooled off, store broth in refrigerator overnight to get the pork fat to congeal. After 24 hours, remove excess fat from broth.
- Reheat soup over medium heat until boil. Serve pork soup as described in Step 10