Pork Soup (Pho Heo)
PREP TIME: 1 hour
SERVES: 6 to 8
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 6 hours
- 16 cups (4 quarts) of water
- 5 lbs pork bones
- 2 tbsp candy rocks
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp pork bouillon powder
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 bunch scallion heads
- 1 jar Instant pork soup paste
- 4 sweet onion, divided
- 1 tbsp pork soup seasoning
- 1 tp black pepper
- Dry fried red onion
- Fresh basil
- Bean sprouts
- Pork soup balls
- Egg noodles, banh pho nodles or vermicelli beans threads noodles
- Clean and wash pork bones. Remove excess fat
- Using a large soup pot, fill pot with 4 quarts or 16 cups of cold water and slowly bring to boil.
- Add candy rocks, kosher salt, pork bones to pot.
- Clean, remove ginger skin. Cut ginger into thin slices. Add to pot of soup.
- Clean scallion. Cut scallion head into 1 inch in length pieces. dd to pot of soup.
- Peel Ssweet onion. Cut onion into thin slices.
- When pot of soup boils, lower heat to Low. Add instant pork soup paste, pork soup seasoning, pork bouillon powder, sweet onion
- Cook over low heat for 6 hours.
- Serve pork soup with egg noodles, banh pho noodles or vermicelli beans threads noodles, pork soup balls, dry fried red onion, bean sprouts, fresh basil and sliced sweet onion.
NOTE: For a healthier pork soup
- Remove pork bones from soup when finished cooking. When pork is cooled off, remove all bones and discard.
- When pork soup is cooled off, store broth in refrigerator overnight to get the pork fat to congeal. After 24 hours, remove excess fat from broth.
- Reheat soup over medium heat until boil. Read to serve as in Step 9.