Vietnamese Beef Pho Soup
PREP TIME: 1 hour
SERVES: 6 to 8
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 9 hours
- 5 lbs Beef Bones
- 2 Tbsp Candy Rocks
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp Beef Flavor Soup Mix
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger Slices
- 1 Bunch Scallion
- 1 Jar Instant Beef Pho Soup Paste
- 4 Vidalia Sweet Onion, Divided
- 2 Tbsp Star Aniseed (10-15 pieces)
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Pho Hoa Spices Package – Pho Seasoning
- Fresh Basil
- Bean Sprouts
- Pork Soup Balls
- Beef Balls
- Bay Leaves (5 Leaves)
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- Rice Noodles, Banh Pho Noodles or Vermicelli Beans Threads Noodles, Chopped Scallion
- Clean and wash beef bones.
- Using a large soup pot, fill 2/3 of pot with cold water and slowly bring to boil.
- Add Candy Rocks, Kosher Salt, beef bones to pot.
- Clean, remove Ginger skin. Cut Ginger into thin slices.
- Using a small frying pan, fry Ginger on both sides until golden brown. Add Ginger to Pot of Soup
- Clean Scallion. Cut scallion head into 1 inch in length pieces. Add to Pot of Soup
- Peel Sweet Onion. Cut onion into thin slices.
- When Pot of Soup boils, lower heat to Low. Add Instant Pho Soup Paste, Beef flavor soup mix, Pho spice package, Sweet Onion, Bay leaves, black pepper, fish sauce
- Cook over low heat for 8 hours.
- Serve Pho Soup with Egg Noodles, Banh Pho Noodles or Vermicelli Beans Threads Noodles, Beef Soup Balls, rare tender beef (sliced), chopped scallions, Bean Sprouts, Fresh Basil and sliced sweet onion
NOTE: For a healthier Pho Soup
- Remove beef bones from soup when finished cooking. When beef bones are cooled off, remove all bones and discard
- When Pho soup is cooled off, store broth in refrigerator overnight to get the soup fat to congeal. After 24 hours, remove excess fat from broth.
- Reheat soup over medium heat until boil. Serve Pho soup as described in Step 10